PAD Screening & Health Fair Event
“In San Antonio, the risks of developing P.A.D. is higher due to the increased prevalence of individuals with diabetes, smoking, and obesity related health issues,” says Dr. Daniel Tamez, a renowned PVA Vascular Surgeon. Peripheral Arterial Disease (PAD) occurs when arteries in the legs are clogged with plaque buildup, reducing blood flow to the legs. This can result in leg muscle pain when walking, disability, amputation, and a poor quality of life.
PAD is also known as a “silent killer”, because blocked arteries can be a red flag that other arteries are blocked, increasing the risk of heart attack, stroke, and amputations.
September is Peripheral Arterial Disease Awareness Month and PVA, along with partners YMCA, Health Collaborative, Baptist Health System, and Texas Kidney Foundation, will host a free health screening event on Saturday, September 23 to educate on the symptoms, risk factors and treatment options of PAD. We are 100% committed to bringing attention and educating patients about this devastating disease.
On Saturday, September 23, we will offer a free health fair event with free screening test for people over the age of 50 with any of the risk factors below:
- Smokes, or used to smoke
- Has diabetes
- Has high blood pressure
- Has abnormal blood cholesterol
- Has a personal history of coronary artery disease or stroke
The screening test is called the ankle-brachial index (ABI), a painless, non-invasive test that compares the blood pressure in the ankles with the blood pressure in the arms. In order to get a free screening, you must be over the age of 50, have any of the risk factors listed above and you must call to schedule your screening at (210) 237-4444.
We will be hosting the health event and PAD screening at the PVA Main Ave. Medical Plaza located at 610 N. Main in downtown San Antonio. We will also host other activities at the event, and you can view the complete schedule below:
- 8:30 a.m. – Physician presentation by Dr. Daniel Tamez
- 9:30 a.m. – Zumba class sponsored by Health Collaborative
- 10:00 a.m. – Physician presentation by Dr. Michael Peck
- 10:30 a.m. – Healthy Choices Food Demo by Chefluential, sponsored by Health Collaborative
- 11:00 a.m. – Healthy Choices Food Demo by Chefluential, sponsored by Health Collaborative
- 11:30 a.m. – Zumba class sponsored by YMCA of Greater San Antonio
- 12:00 p.m. – Physician presentation by Dr. Heather McKenzie, Baptist Wound Care
- 12:30 p.m. – Cooking demonstration sponsored by YMCA of Greater San Antonio
- 1:00 p.m. – Physician presentation by Dr. Celeste Borchers, Podiatrist
Please join us on Saturday, September 23 from 8am – 2pm at the PVA Main Ave Medical Plaza for our health fair and PAD screening event! Follow our Facebook event page for the most up-to-date information about the event and any other tips you may want to know, such as what to expect, what you should bring, or where to park.
Our hope is that this event will inspire San Antonians to be proactive about their health while also interacting with a community of people that share a common desire to improve their livability and the overall health of the city.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us at (210) 237-4444. Like us on Facebook or Twitter to stay updated with other PAD screenings we will offer next month for PAD Awareness Month. If you need further information, please visit our website at www.pvasatx.com for more information on this event or vascular disease in general.